Introducing Trover: The app every traveler should have

We’re pretty new to Smartphone technology. We just got our iPad last year and—try not to gasp—we got our first iPhone this past Christmas of 2013. True story.

But we’re making up for lost time. Since the purchase of our iPad, we’ve discovered just how valuable some apps can be for travelers. In particular, there’s one new website and app that is quickly proving to be our favorite: Trover.

A Cruising Couple Trover

So what is it?

Trover is a visual guide to ‘the best of everywhere’. See the world through gorgeous photos posted by savvy travelers who have been there. Discover hidden gems for your next trip. Upload your own photos and travel tips and then receive recognition for those discoveries.

But that’s just the start.

We’ve been using Trover for a couple of weeks now. Here are five things we already love about the app:

1. It’s a great source for travel inspiration.

Trover has some seriously awesome travel photography from everyday travelers around the world. We’ve spent hours scrolling through snapshots of beautiful places, adding new destinations and activities to our travel bucket list. It’s easy to lose yourself on Trover, but you’ll come back with new inspiration for your travels and photography.

2. Get insider travel tips

Trover Discovery

Not only does Trover lead to travel inspiration, it provides valuable insider travel tips. Learn about food, culture and activities you won’t find in any guidebook. When someone uploads a photo to Trover, they include a brief description along with the exact location. We’ve learned about fantastic restaurants—and the best dishes on the menus—here in Mexico, all places we never would have known about if another nearby traveler hadn’t provided the discovery on Trover. And restaurants are just the start! From street art in Berlin to dog sledding in Alaska, there’s no limits to what you can learn.

Trover also allows you to search through nearby discoveries. Not only do you learn about hidden gems that are right down the road, but it’s also a great way to meet and interact with local travelers. Comment on photos, tag fellow travelers, and make new connections!

3. Share your own photos

Of course, half the fun of Trover is adding your own photos! Instantly add your personal photos and travel tips, and help other travelers discover the best insider advice, too! If someone finds your photo or tip useful, they can ‘thank you’ for your discovery and add it to their own list of favorites.

4. An easy to navigate interface

Trover Interface

With so many apps out there, I don’t have time or patience for complicated ones that require a lot of time on my part. With Trover, it all makes sense. Easily scroll through photos (also known as discoveries) based on ‘What’s Hot’, people you follow, or your places and interests. Organize your discoveries on your own custom curated lists. We’re currently saving tons of discoveries from other travelers on our Norway and Mexicool lists, but your lists are only limited by your creativity.

5. Easy to use from the website or app

The Trover app makes on-the-go discoveries quick and easy, but you can also upload photos and make discoveries on the website. You know, just in case you’re behind on the smart technology like we were, you can still get in on all the Trover goodness!

Whether you’re getting ready for your next trip, looking for discoveries in your own neighborhood, or just wanting to add to your ever increasing wanderlust, then Trover is for you.

Download the free app and then be sure to connect with us, A Cruising Couple!

Are you on Trover? What travel apps do you use?

We were compensated to write this post. All thoughts and opinions are, as always, our own.

Meet: Casey Siemasko

Casey Siemasko is a blogger, content creator, and co-founder of A Cruising Couple. She has been living and traveling outside of the US full-time since 2011. She finds her life inspiration in exploring the world and seeks to find the magic in the most ordinary of places.

468 ad

24 Comments

1. I can’t wait to get to Mexico for exactly the reason you stated – finding the little out-of-the-way spots that we otherwise would have never known about except for with Trover. And ALL THE FOOD. :)
    Dalene recently posted…The Tourist BobsledMy Profile

• You are going to love Mexico! What part are you headed to? There are lots of discoveries for Mexico on Trover, so that will be perfect! And seriously, the food is amazing!!

2. Tony & I have joked that we are retarded adopters because we are always late to these app parties by such an embarrassing degree. We just got Instagram about a week ago… I don’t think we’re ready to pick up another thing right now, but I do like that this has a web interface rather than being strictly limited to the phone (which is part of the reason we only just got Instagram as until recently we never had a phone that supported it).
    Steph (@ 20 Years Hence) recently posted…The Buildings of Kuala Lumpur for the Architecturally IgnorantMy Profile

• Haha I’m glad we aren’t the only ones who don’t always know the latest happenings in the app world. I remember our first visit back to the U.S. from Taiwan I didn’t know who Siri was, and my friends looked at me like I was from outer space ;) Be sure to find us on instagram! The fact you can use Trover as a website is a definite plus. I remember being so annoyed that I couldn’t get on instagram just because we didn’t have a tablet or smart phone!

• Us too! Especially if they are secret places we never would have known about without local advise :)

3. Ha! We’re also late to the smartphone world – only got an iPod Touch last year, and still no smartphone to be seen. Will check out Trover – sounds enticing. Thanks and good luck!
    Lunaguava recently posted…Climbing the Pacaya Volcano (Unleashed)My Profile

• It’s so reassuring to hear how many other travelers out there aren’t as dependent on their smart phones as some people might have us believe :) That said, do check out Trover! It’s awesome :D

• I love Trail Wallet, too! I haven’t tried the others so I’ll definitely look into them. Thanks for the recommendations!

4. This seems like a combination of Pinterest and TripAdvisor. Every time I see a new app or resource, I think, great, more work. But then I usually give it a go anyway, usually after everyone else is well established and rocking it.
    Heather recently posted…New York City Revisited: A Fanciful RetreatMy Profile

• Haha I feel you on the ‘more work’ thing. We hadn’t thought about the TripAdvisor comparison, but I see what you mean! We are with you on the.. great… another social media app to suck away all my time.. But we really like Trover because we’re actually learning new things and not just posting pictures to wait for people to like them. If you give it a try be sure to connect with us!

5. Thanks for the tip! I hadn’t heard of it yet! Will definitely check it out!

6. I am the same when it comes to technology guys. I only got an iPhone last year too and I am still figuring out how to use it properly. In market research terms I should fall under the tech category silver surfer, because I am useless with everything technology related. :-)
    tammyonthemove recently posted…Making merry at the world’s highest micro-breweryMy Profile

• Hahaha that makes me feel so much better. I think us unsavvy tech travelers should form a support group or something!

7. I should say! This is the real learning topic. Thanks a lot for pursuing such amazing and informative topic. It is very useful to all those are concerning tourism, traveling and planning for outing as well as for the service provider. As a travel operator we can also share this with our visitors.
    Elsam recently posted…Tips and Advices for picking a limo serviceMy Profile

• Glad you like it. It could definitely be useful for tour operators!

• I know they are working on the android version so hopefully that will be available soon! Haha the 21st century is definitely nice ;)

8. Just found this post from one of the Facebook travel blogger boards. Joined myself a few days ago and am looking to upload a fair few tips from recent posts… Have you found or heard of a way to upload en masse, or a third-party tool that’s begun to incorporate Trover?

Also, it’s been a few months since this post – how often are you using it now? =)
    Chris @ One Weird Globe recently posted…Review: Tales of Trains – where the journey is the destinationMy Profile

• Hey Chris! Thanks so much for taking the time to click over and read our article. I don’t believe that there is a way to upload en masse yet. That was actually one of the suggestions we made to Trover though because we agree it would make it a much more streamlined process. I assume they are hesitant to do that though because they really want detailed, informative descriptions for each photo.

Submit a Comment