Come With Us To Costa Rica!

This post was last updated on July 30th, 2017

Welcome To Costa Rica!

Or, a bit more specifically, welcome to Los Angeles Sur. Nestled in the mountains and cloud forests of central Costa Rica, this is our ultra-temporary home for about three weeks before we get into the whitewater rafting, horseback riding and nature tours galore.

If you follow us on our facebook or instagram, then you know by now that we’re housesitting—taking care of someone’s house and pets while they are away.  Our ‘home’ is in a quiet community, a 30-minute bus ride from the nearest town. Our days consist of playing with the cuddly cat, going for strolls through the valley, and generally enjoying the view. There’s a small café down the road we get cappuccinos at.  There’s a vegetable stand we walk to an hour away. It’s funny how simple it sounds, and it’s no wonder people keep asking us if we’re bored. The thing is, we really needed this quiet retreat. Not to relax so much as to have the opportunity to sit at our computers undistracted and catch up on a whole myriad of projects. Despite for the cat cuddling breaks, it’s going pretty well.

Don’t get us wrong—we will definitely be ready to continue our explorations around Costa Rica in about a week’s time. We’ve got a lot of ideas, and we can’t wait to experience the wildlife and diversity Costa Rica is famous for. If you’ve been to Costa Rica, please send us your suggestions! We’ll have about six weeks to explore all that the country has to offer.

In the meantime, we’re going to sip one more cup of coffee and enjoy the view before the afternoon rainstorms roll in. Rainy season is not a joke.

Hope you enjoy these few photos from around our housesitting home. I think they’ll explain why we’re so comfortable here!

Welcome to Los Angeles Sur Costa Rica

Welcome to Los Angeles Sur, Costa Rica

Housesitting Costa Rica neighborhood

The view from the top of our neighborhood

Housesitting Costa Rica

Casey! Stop daydreaming and get some work done!

Leo

Leo! Isn’t he CUTE!

Hammock Costa Rica

Not a bad spot for a siesta

Los Angeles Sur Costa Rica

Los Angeles Sur, Costa Rica

Neighbor in Costa Rica

One of our neighbors

Cows Costa Rica

The other neighbor

Leaf cutter ants Costa Rica

Leaf cutter ants going to work

Butterfly on Flower Costa Rica

Butterfly Costa Rica

Have you been to Costa Rica before? What should we do while we’re here?

35 Comments

1. Looks like there is lots to enjoy…so just ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!! Beautiful place and views.
    Love you Gma Lorene

• You know, I’m not sure! I assumed they were blackberries or raspberries or something, but they didn’t look quite ripe enough to tell! So we could eat those?

2. If you are planning on traveling around the country, you have to go to Arenal! It’s not too far from San Jose and it’s one of our favorite places. Soo pretty and so many fun things to do! Oh and the Guanacaste province where we are has some pretty awesome beaches!
    Samantha recently posted…Palo Verde National Park – One of the best for wildlife watchingMy Profile

3. Wow, what a gorgeous place to relax, recharge and dive into your work! I can’t wait to start getting involved with housesitting – the opportunities in South America where we’ve been for the last 9 months are pretty slim, but once we’re back in Europe next year, I have high hopes! Enjoy your time there, and looking forward to reading all about your explorations of Costa Rica!
    Sam recently posted…Miami Culinary Tours Gift Certificate GiveawayMy Profile

• I bet you guys will have a ton of luck in Europe! It took us a while to find one in Costa Rica, but we have seen so many listings for France especially. Can’t wait to see where you guys end up! Haha we actually stumbled upon one of your guys housesitting listings the other day and were like.. wow, we know them! :)

4. Yeah, this is all pretty much to die for! Especially that cat!!!
    You didn’t even have to say that this little break was good. It was the first thing I thought when I started reading. Sometimes a bit of respite is all you need. And then, fully recharged and ready to go. I think cat time helps.
    Colleen Brynn recently posted…A Weekend At HomeMy Profile

• I don’t think we realized how much we needed to recharge until we got here, either! Cat time is definitely a cure all- especially when he is as cuddly as this little guy!

5. This looks amazing! We just signed up for a few house sitting websites – I hope we can find an assignment this lovely! Is this your first house sitting experience?
    Jessica recently posted…Baring It All at a Japanese OnsenMy Profile

• That’s awesome! Best of luck!! This is our first ‘formal’ housesitting experience (aka using a site to find it). I think we got very lucky- hopefully they all turn out so wonderful! Where do you want to housesit at?

6. Wow you guys, this is awesome!! We’re planning to do house-sitting after we go home for Christmas and Costa Rica is high on our list. Can I ask which site you used to find this one? I’ve been looking around a lot lately and haven’t found any in Central America.

Your temporary home is beautiful and it’s great to have some down time once in awhile. We just had 11 days in Dushanbe, Tajikistan and ate Indian food for 8 of those days, had espresso every day and wandered around – of course, did lots of websiting too!

Cheers :)
    Dariece @GoatsOnTheRoad recently posted…Central Asian Homestays: What’s The Deal?My Profile

• That’s awesome! I haven’t had any good Indian food in far too long :) You’ll love housesitting then! We used MindMyHouse.com to find it. It is the least expensive one, and quite honestly the site where we have seen the most options for south of the border. We almost had another gig in Costa Rica and Mexico as well, but for a variety of reasons those didn’t fit our schedules. Still though, there aren’t very many in Latin America, especially when compared to the number in Europe! Have you tried Mind My House yet?

• Thanks Naomi!! It has been years since I was in Latin America, which I’m now realizing was far, far too long.

• Thanks Rhonda! Housesitting is definitely a great way to get to know a local area!

7. Your house sit looks lovely! I have been to Costa Rica but it was more than 15 years ago. I actually did a study program there with my high school! The Monte Verde Cloud Forest was one of my favorite spots.
    Jennifer recently posted…Italy’s Wild and Secret BeachesMy Profile

• O wow, very cool! We will definitely add the Monte Verde Cloud Forest to our itinerary. Thanks for the advice!

8. Those stunning views AND a pet cat?! Sounds like an amazing house sitting gig. Enjoy! :D
    Audrey recently posted…One More Country SyndromeMy Profile

• Thanks Audrey! I definitely think we are getting a bit spoiled :)

9. My boyfriend and I are moving to Costa Rica indefinitely on the 5th of November. Staying in Uvita – am also looking for travel tips! I cannot wait :)

• That’s awesome! Maybe our paths will cross if we make it to Uvita! :)

10. This seems so relaxing! I’d like nothing more than to curl up with a cup of tea and Leo in my lap and gaze at that gorgeous valley!
    Heather recently posted…My Perfect NYC WeekendMy Profile

• It was almost too relaxing :-p There was a lot of tea and book reading while listening to the afternoon showers roll in.

• We are starting to fall in love with it ourselves! Where did you go in Costa Rica?

11. I have been to San Jose, Puerto Viejo, Tortuguero, Sarapique, Monteverde, La Fortuna and Quepos. That was May-June this year, we went back about two weeks ago to La Fortuna and Monteverde. I am so in love. We’re planning a trip back to see some more early next year, hopefully.

I have lots of posts on my blog about Costa Rica if you’re curious. :)
    Dawn Kealing recently posted…Taking Advantage of Being Home Part 1: Visiting the Climbing Wall.My Profile

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. House Sitting in the South of France – What It Was Really Like - […] actually wasn’t our first time house sitting; we also did it in Costa Rica last year. But we haven’t…

Submit a Comment